If you’re looking to buy a home in Oakbrook Terrace for the first time or get back into the housing market after renting for a while, now is a great time to take action. Even if you’ve owned a home before, many repeat homeowners can qualify as first-time homebuyers right now, so keep reading to see if you’re eligible. And take advantage of first-time homebuyer benefits for new homeowners in 2021.
How to Qualify as a First-Time Home Buyer
According to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), a first-time homebuyer meets any of the following conditions:
- An individual who has not owned a principal residence for at least three years.
- An individual who has owned a home, but their spouse has not; you can still purchase a new home together as first-time homebuyers.
- A single parent who has only owned a home with a former spouse while married.
- A displaced person who has only owned a home with a former spouse while married.
- An individual who has only owned a principal residence not permanently affixed to a permanent foundation (following applicable regulations).
- An individual who has only owned a property that was not in compliance with state, local, or model building codes, and cannot meet compliance for less than the cost of constructing a permanent structure.
Top Mortgage Benefits for First-Time Home Buyers in Oakbrook Terrace
A few highlights:
- Down payments as low as 3.0%
- Use of gift funds to help with closing costs
- HUD-issued grants and down payment assistance
- Government-backed loans with lower interest rates
- Withdraw IRA funds for use without penalty
- Tax deductions for points and origination fees
Many first-time homebuyer programs allow you to use gifted funds from family or friends, withdraw from retirement funds without a penalty, and even access down payment assistance. Talking with the Claudio Prunotto mortgage team in Oakbrook Terrace can help you get access to the best mortgage options based on your goals.
Top Home Loans for First-Time Home Buyers in Oakbrook Terrace
One of the biggest obstacles for a lot of first-time homebuyers in Oakbrook Terrace is the down payment. These popular first-time homebuyer mortgages can help lower your down payment and get you into a house without massive fees or unexpected costs:
- FHA Loan – 3.5% down payment
- VA Loan – 0% down payment
- USDA Loan – 0% down payment
- Conventional 97 Home Loan – 3% down payment
- HomeReady Home Loan by Fannie Mae – 3% down payment
- Good Neighbor Next Door Program – $100 down
- 203(k) Section Loans – 3.5% down payment
Check with your local mortgage advisor to find out which home loan program can give you the best mortgage. Depending on your situation (including your employment status and credit rating), there are customized solutions that can take advantage of government-backed loans, get you super low rates and save you money.
You can finally stop renting and start building home equity in Oakbrook Terrace, IL.
Down Payment Assistance for First-Time Home Buyers
FHA grant and loan programs and down payment assistance programs are available across the country, and many are state-specific.
Find out more about FHA Home Loans and Down Payment Assistance programs that are offered to first-time homebuyers for 2021 in the state of Illinois by clicking here.
You can even learn about government programs that make it easier to purchase a home in Oakbrook Terrace. Go here to check information on vouchers, state programs, and even foreclosures in your state.
If you’re thinking about buying a home in Oakbrook Terrace, check in with a mortgage expert and see if you qualify as a first-time homebuyer. The Claudio Prunotto mortgage team can share which home loan programs will give you the best advantages. Getting pre-approved early on can help you move fast when you find your dream home. We’d love to help.